Friday, January 29, 2010

A Pantry Organized

I have tried so many things to keep the pantry (which really is a converted coat closet in the foyer) organized.  I was forever running to the store at the last minute thinking I had something in the pantry and didn't--or more likely, couldn't find it.  My kids would rummage through it all with no regard to organization.  Can you imagine???  The nerve.

After the start of the new year I decided to organize again.  This difference THIS time was labels!  Duh.  How hard is that?  If I expect people to put things in the proper place, how can they do that with no labels??

I used baskets to group like things and then labeled each basket.  I decided not to store any opened snacks in the pantry, but in labeled baskets in the cabinet instead.  I haven't had any new bags opened until the first bag was gone.  Amazing!  Directions.  Who knew?  Well, I guess everyone except me.  

This is a full view.  I have the things that the kids reach for first on the bottom shelf.  Yeah.  All the healthy stuff.  (We do have fruit and veggies too)

The top shelf has extras like grits, rice, cake mixes, drink mixes, soups.  The second shelf has sauces and dressings, baking basket, and pastas.

Sorry for the bad pics.  I promise I've read tons of tutorials.  I think I need a better camera.  Wink.  I used my handy dandy labeler that I love and made little tags for each basket.

These baskets are in the cabinet.  The angle of this photo is making me feel sick.  I apologize if it is for you--I don't do those things well.  The baskets hold only opened snacks.  The shelves are labeled too.

I never thought that we would be able to keep an organized pantry but so far so good.  It really helps me to know what I have "in stock" and what I need!  I hope it helps you too.

No comments: