Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Kitchen Cabinet facelift!

When we moved in to our current home, the kitchen cabinets were ivory.  You know, not white but not different enough from white to look anything but dirty.  I hated them.  They had ugly brass fixtures that the brass was rubbing off of.  Yuck!!  I apologize for the pictures but they are old.  I definitely wasn't a blogger in 2007 when these were taken.  Here is how they looked (minus hardware because as I said before, not a blogger in 2007):


Yes the floor is hideous and no we have still not changed it.  It does hide dirt though.  Anything the color of dirt must hide it right??  Yes, that is a mountain of clutter on the counter top.  Back to the cabinets.  You see?  They just looked dirty.  On a whim, I decide to glaze them.  Had I ever done this before?  Ummm, no.  Had I ever painted anything before?  Ummmm, no.  But it was MLK, Jr. day and we were out of school.  What the heck?  I'll give it a try.  They can't look worse!

I got them done THAT day!!  It was really easy.  I couldn't stand to think of putting that hideous peeling brass back on.  I went to Lowe's and got all new hardware.  What fun!!

Here is the finished product:


Another view:




 

Sorry for the bad pics.  Again, 2007.  What do you think??  Now they look old and worn on purpose!!








2 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I love the shabby effect on your kitchen cabinets and am in the process of re-doing my own kitchen. Trying to decide if that is the way I want to go-- since shabby is the theme of my world!

I just found your blog through ASPTL- DIY day... and am beginning again to blog myself.

I feel connected to you already-- mostly by the mention of Grace - I've felt the most welcomed in reading your blog.

I'll be back.

Jan said...

I can't wait to see what you do about the floor...because I have that exact SAME hideous floor. Bleah!