Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Initial This!

I love all of the giant door initials that I see in specialty shops.  I don't love the $40-$60 price tags!!  I decided to attempt to make my own.  The first thing I had to figure out was how to make the pattern.  I found a font I like, and then printed it using the poster function in word.
Then, I traced around my pattern onto MDF board.  I think it cost $4 and change for a pretty big piece (sorry I can't remember exactly--maybe 2'x4'?)

Next I used my new love--my jigsaw and cut around the outline.  The MDF is super easy to cut and no sanding needed!!  You just have to keep moving and clamping your board to get in grooves and around curves.
I apologize for not having pictures of each step.

Here is the MDF with the letter traced and a beginning cut.  This was the first one I did and I made it for a friend.  I didn't have clamps so I had to hold the board down with one hand and cut with the other.  I do not recommend that!!


Here is that one finished.  I primed it and sprayed it brown, then my daughter (13) painted the dots on.  It is about 18" high.


Here is mine.  I painted it black with light blue dots.  I just love it!!

I'm linking this up with DIY day at Kimba's and Get Your Craft On! at Today's Creative Blog.




4 comments:

Gretchen said...

Be still my heart! I LOVE it!!!!!
Oh the possibilities of colors. ( I'm thinking a green and red one for Christmas)
Thanks for the great idea!

The Hill Hangout said...

I can think of so many uses for these letters! Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

These look fabulous! Never thought of cutting my own! Great idea!

gillian said...

That's so cute! That would be cute in a nursery or something. I love the idea. Great job.

-Gillian