Thursday, November 25, 2010

Optical Illusion...

I have always hated the handles on my front doors.  I'm sure, at the beginning of time, they were brass.  After 30+ years of the elements, brass doesn't look so hot.  
I am sure you agree.  I tried taking the screws out and removing them completely to spray paint.  I'm cheap that way--certainly did not want to replace them.  Again, after 30+ years in the elements, they are pretty much permanent.  Enter:  craft paint.  Why not?  They certainly couldn't look worse.  So I got busy with my paintbrush and silver craft paint.  After about 3 coats....
Is it just me or do they look just like expensive brushed nickel??!!  I don't care if it IS just me.  I love how they look.  It makes an incredible difference.  My son was walking up the driveway several days after I painted them and said, "Did those doors always have handles???"  If an 11 year boy notices, it was a success!!
Don't they look sooooo much better?  A little craft paint = a lot of love!!

Here is the before:
After:
Aahhhhh!  The power of paint!!
Soooo, I'm linking up with

2 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I love how they turned out. Did you put a clear coat over the paint when you were done-- you know, to help protect against the elements? ha!
I think it looks alot like brushed nickel too.

Great job. I like!

Anonymous said...

Looks great. You commented on our floors and we just put them over our subfloor using liquid nails along with the horseshoe nails.